Upstairs tub drain leak

Users who are viewing this thread

madlinux

Reaction score
Hello All,

Glad I found this forum, seems like a great place to talk about the following issue that I having. Last night when my little one was taking a bath in the upstairs bathroom I happened to be in the downstairs laundry room (directly below the upstairs tub) when I heard a "pitter pater" sound coming directly7 above me, when I looked up I noticed that the paint was peeling. I knew at once that it was water so I pulled my pocket knife out and cut a small hole which immediately leaked water.

I emptied the bath tub quickly and set to work. Taking my drywall saw cut a 3 by 3 square in my ceiling to investigate further. This is what I found.

May to June 2008 092 (Custom).jpg

I could see the water leaking from around the pipe where it meets up with the tub, I went upstairs and unscrewed the draing for a closer inspection, the gasket looked fine, feeling around the drain hole I felt that the fiberglass was not smooth around the bottom of the tub. I figured this was my problem. I went downstairs and grabbed my grinder to smoothe out the fiberglass, it was difficult to grind it level and I ended up grinded to much :( I went down to the local home center and found a product that looked like playdoo but was an epoxy, when mixed by hand and water added to started getting very warm to the touch and after a few minutes got hard. The end result looked like this.

Bathtub Drain 001 (Large) (Custom).jpg

I tested the water this evening and found that it is still leaking, though in a different spot. It is now coming from the edge of the grey putty that I put in. You can see that there is quite a mess of fiberglass on the bottom of the tub. My next thought is to grind around the ring that I made and add more of the putty.

Two more items to add, the house is 18 yrs old and the leak occured with the drain plugged.

Since I have never ventured this for in the plumming world I thought that before I go farther I should ask individuals more experienced than I. Please let me know if I am on the right track or need to jump to another.

Dan

Rombo

Reaction score
I think you might have screwed your self by grinding in the first place. may be time for a new tub. but first i would remove the putty you added and try the properly fiberglass with mat and resin

madlinux

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input, I think that it is to late though to remove the putty, it is an epoxy that dried like cement, its attached itself to the fiberglass really well. I am thinking that I need a stop-gap measure to hold me over till next year when I will be replacing the tub. I have had friends tell me that liquid nails would do the trick, what do you say? Is there a better substance to try and stop the drops from coming? I realize that I am not fixing the leak, only containing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks