Upstairs master bathroom toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

mggray87

Reaction score
First off I moved in about a year and a half ago. Since I moved in. My upstairs master toilet is annoying. When I flush it it flushes and it fills and after some time during filling it has a flapping jerk in sucking sound. Like gasping for air over and over and eventually fades out. Also I just took a shower immediately after I flushed and when it did that fluttering sound I noticed my water pressure basically fluttered to the toilet flutter. What the heck is going on up here. Nothing happens downstairs it's only this dam master bath. Oh did I tell you when I sleep at night I hear bomb. Clunk. Clunk I'm pressure sure it's the water line.

Also when I'm laying in bed after shower up to a hour later randomly the shower head will trickle and I can hear it. Sometimes 2 or 3 times.

Ok rant over! Oh wait just heard a clank somewhere in wall somewhere

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's a flapper that needs replacing in the tank. I would lift the lid and observe the cycle.

On the shower, sometimes it will take a while to unload all of the water in the pipes. The water tends to stick to the insides for a while. On some tub/showers, I've noticed it can take about 30 minutes to completely stop.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When a toilet runs after a delay after flushing/filling...it's usually that the flapper valve is leaking, and the fill valve needs to open up again to refill the tank to the design level. Try shutting off the toilet shutoff and leaving it for awhile (overnight is ideal), then see where the water level in the tank is when you check back. It will probably be way down, and maybe empty. If so, replace the flapper valve with a new one with the proper design (they need to be the proper one so that it will close after dispensing the proper amount of water, and that is almost never the full tank on a modern toilet). Otherwise, you're wasting, potentially, a lot of water.

A not as common issue is if you have excessively high water pressure...often, the weakest valve in the house is the toilet fill valve, and it could be opening to relieve some of that excess pressure. This is more common if you have a pressure reduction valve and either no expansion tank, or a failed one...after a shower, without someplace for the expanding, heated water to go, it raises the water pressure. The pipes aren't elastic (at least at the pressures involved!), so the pressure spikes rapidly until something gives - often, the weakest link is a toilet fill valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks