Unknown well help

Users who are viewing this thread

Robbor

Reaction score
Ok its been a while. I have an unknown well. It was abandoned almost 30 years ago. Someone had stripped the breaker panel and pump control box.
Figured out here that the pump was 220v and 3 wire but no ground.
I bought a 3 wire 1hp pump control box. Rented a 7kw generator that had 220v. Got it all hooked up and gene loaded down and it pumped water for 15-20 seconds then the water stopped and the cap in the
control panel blew.

Im guessing, #1 the pump needed a 1.5hp control box or #2 it stared to sieze up somehow.
What do you all think?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a low-range ohmmeter and tell us the 3 different resistances (ohms) you see between the three wires, I think somebody could tell you what HP the pump is.

identify the wires by color when you post the values.

Was the control box that you bought new or used?

Robbor

Reaction score
If you have a low-range ohmmeter and tell us the 3 different resistances (ohms) you see between the three wires, I think somebody could tell you what HP the pump is.

identify the wires by color when you post the values.

Was the control box that you bought new or used?
New

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to do the calculation, see Solution equations in #7 of https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-3-wire-pump-resistances-with-unknowns.67706/ Or post your numbers, and I will plug them into a spreadsheet.

Note that it would be best to use a milliohm meter for more resolution, but if your multimeter can resolve to 0.1 ohms, that is going to give close results. Even 1 ohm may be sufficient for determining what HP your pump is. If you your new control box had been connected to the wrong wires, I don't know what the effect would be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks