Underground conduit

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Smith333, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Smith333

Smith333 Member

I will be running some conduit underground to bring a 20 amp circuit to a shed. I plan to use 3/4" PVC, but am concerned about the PVC becoming brittle where it is exposed to sunlight at the stub ups. Would it be reasonable to substitute an RMC nipple for the portion exposed to sunlight, and transition to PVC with a PVC female adapter? Thanks in advance.
  2. Bobelectric

Bobelectric Electrical Contractor

pvc conduit is "sunlight resistant".Be more concerned if you change to rmc,that you run it to a grounded box to maintain ground integrity on the metal piping.
  3. Smith333

Smith333 Member

Thanks, I didn't realize that it was resistant to sunlight. I think I'll just use SCH 80 instead of RMC. Thanks again.