Ultramax Ii Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Utah John

Reaction score
it's ~2yrs old, love it. (Toto Ultramax II)

Around 3 weeks ago, it's not giving a good flush. I can flush with a couple gallons of water in the bowl, it works ok. But normal flush via the handle is really weak. Not like a Toto at all!

I had a plumber come out, but he didn't instill a lot of confidence. He said to replace the Toto. He did check the main sewer line, and said it's clear.

I suspect the syphon jet is clogged, or restricted, but don't see any info on how to clear that.

We do have hard water here, and there are hard water deposits at the bottom of the bowl (where the brush won't get).

I have searched around, and can't find this info (I'm sorry, I tried!).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did he run a closet auger through the trapway of the bowl? Sometimes things drop in and slow the siphon action. I've seen Q-Tips do that.
How did he check the mainline? Did he pull the bowl?

I would also check to make sure that the black tube from the fill valve is pointed down the overflow tube. This refills the bowl after a flush, and if the bowl starts too low, then the flush weakens.
Also make sure there isn't too much slack in the chain to the flapper. The flapper needs to lift up, and float for a moment before dropping.

Utah John

Reaction score
I have manually lifted the flapper to provide a full flush, no chance. The "plumber" viewed the line via the vent from the roof. I really got the feeling he was not the best, not even close (It was an insurance service call).

The tank is quite full (1" from top of spill tube).

I haven't manually felt the syphon jet during a flush yet. I suspect it's either that or something bigger in the trap, etc.

Many thanks for the guidance Terry.

Utah John

Reaction score
I fixed it. The siphon discharge was partially clogged with hard water deposits about 2" up from the exit. Once cleared it flushes normally again.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That'll do it -- on any toilet. I had a really old one that I fixed by doing exactly that. However, since you only had it for two years, it didn't occur to me that that could be it.

So much for the "plumber" that said to replace the Toto. Idiot.

Utah John

Reaction score
When the "plumber" pulled the lid and saw the flapper operation and said the flapper needed to be replaced, right then I knew he was relatively clueless. The flapper design (I'm an engineer) is really good IMO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks