Tub & Surround Options - Vikrell, Acrylic,

Users who are viewing this thread

Davidhmd

Reaction score
Looking for 2nd opinions on sterling Vikrell tub w 3 piece surround. Total cost is $600 to $700.

I've already read a lot of info online. I know cast iron tubs and tile are the most durable.
If I don't get cast iron, I like the idea of a surround kit that matches the tub material.

Questions:
  • If I don't do a tile surround is Vikrell one of the best options, or are there better options in similar price range?
  • If installed correctly should it last a long time?
  • Is Vikrell easier to repair than acrylic?

Neighborhood: modest low frills homes built early 1980's.
Bathroom details:
  • 2nd full bathroom in house, kids/guests, only tub in house. Master shower has tile floor and walls.
  • Bathroom size: 59.5" wide by 8.2'
  • tub size: 30 x 60. I prefer not to increase tub width b/c plumbing supply lines are set for 30" and we just replaced them when we gutted the adjoining bathroom. I have 17" clearance to center line of toilet
  • Color scheme: white tub, surround, toilet, and vanity cabinet. Mostly white floor tile. Blue walls, vanity top, towels, etc.
Other tub options If I go with tile surround:
Kohler villager cast iron tub has great price and reviews but some complain about shallow water depth. I thought if I spent a few hundred more I could find something as good but a little deeper, but the other options seemed to have more complaints. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
From what you've seen, Terry, how does Vikrell hold up over time? I've read it can be hard to clean, and can scratch easily. Is it a good choice for a kids bathroom?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen it used in a lot of apartments.
What are kids bringing in the tub that makes scratches?

If you're worried about that, maybe a porcelain on steel tub with tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks