Tub Spout extension???? Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Angel9894

Reaction score
I am back with what is probably a silly question but I purchased these Hansgrohe shower bodies and trim which we installed and look beautiful, but am having some trouble with the tub spouts. The spouts are these http://pro.hansgrohe-usa.com/product.htm?id=10Klassifizierung_16361690Klassifizierung_1638290Klassifizierung_163730Klassifizierung_1656,49027

Our contractor was putting them but is saying they don't fit and need some kind of extension. Here is a pic of the tub pipe as it looks now in the bathrooms.\
IMG-20111215-00204 copy.jpg

I need to buy whatever he is saying we need to get these spouts on but am at a loss as to what that is. Idea's?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The spec on that spout says that it works with a 1/2" male thread, which is what I see in your bathroom. The spout has both a 1/2" female inlet, and a 3/4" male inlet.

If I were installing, I would just chip out enough tile around the pipe, to allow the 3/4" male to set into the wall and then use a 1/2" brass nipple to thread it on. I guess having more options is confusing your plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Too small a picture, but I think he has a 1/2" copper pipe coming from the wall. The problem is that that spout does NOT have enough room behind it for a conventional adapter. He needs a special "spout adapter" which is basically a threaded brass washer with a 1/2" copper hole in it. He would solder it onto the copper at the wall, (it has to be done carefully, however, because it does NOT automatically align itself parallel to the wall surface).

Angel9894

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is a slightly closer picture of what the nipples look like.

tub spout nipple.jpg

Is this something that the Super in my building can do, or do I have to hire a plumber?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj,I think you are right about it being a copper stubout.With the supplied tub spout, it would have been so easy using a threaded nipple. Since the fitting for the tub spout will be behind the wall, it's going to be difficult now.

Attachments

• hansgrohe_angel_spout.jpg
    hansgrohe_angel_spout.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,532
Last edited:

Angel9894

Reaction score
So should I just scrub these spouts and get something else? I wanted something modern and high end to match the other Hansgrohe fixtures and not one of those generic spouts but I don't want this to become a major issue or expensive.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
My tub spout is the cast head of Hercules with that copper pipe just a bit back inside his mouth. Now you have custom on the cheap.

Or solder on one of those decorative hose bibs with a hummingbird handle in chrome. No threads, no fitting, no hassle, long life.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks