Tub Filler in Wall Niche - Design Ideas

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Jul 8, 2014.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

This morning I noticed someone searching my blog page for pictures about Tub Fillers in a wall niche.

Surly they found this photo of a large master bathroom renovation I complete a couple years back here in North Vancouver.

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell from the photo but I bowed out the wall behind the tub so we could have a little bit of a shadow line left and right of center. I furred the wall out with a new 2"x6" wall to create the space since the wall is an exterior wall. This helped create the bathtub niche and gave a place to mount the tub filler and hand held sprayer.

The space was not missed in this master bathroom since it was one massive space. Well worth the loss of real estate I think.

I'll dig up some more photo's if I can. I'm curious of any of the other tile pros/ plumbers here have designed a tub set up this way.

Terry you got any good images on file? Roberto? Counter Balance?
  2. eurob

eurob master tile and stone installer

I didn't see any design like that , John . Nor I would do it . :)
  3. johnfrwhipple

Baa Hum Bug - what don't you like
  4. eurob

eurob master tile and stone installer

The main features of the niche are the tub filler and hand held shower -- in the pic -- . I wouldn't want to have those in this configuration . The horse is faded , but should be a main feature . Maybe the overall look is right , the pic can be deceiving .

Are the walls just painted ? Looks this way .
  5. Bantymom

Bantymom New Member

I am only a homeowner, but I think it is very lovely! I don't wonder someone was looking for it.
  6. johnfrwhipple

The original design (until I was hired) was to build a little box behind the tub for it to sit on! OMG - can you say ugly?

The nicest look is one of those sexy floor mounted fixtures. Maybe a wall mounted fixture. In this case the fixtures all ready purchased and I need to talk them out of the bad design idea!
  7. johnfrwhipple

This is cool

[​IMG]
  8. johnfrwhipple

9. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

My buddies tub niche. This will be a play zone for his little girl!