Tub drain plunger broken off

Users who are viewing this thread

scri8e

Reaction score
I have a reported, (15 year tenant called it in, no I haven't looked at it yet) plunger type tub stopper that is broken off. The kind that you remove the cover plate that is the flip switch for the tub drain operation. You remove the 2 screws on the cover plate pull it away from the tub wall. The linkage and plunger will come out with the cover plate usually. But in this case the plunger is broken off. I won't know where it is broken off until I am at the unit doing the job.

Anyone done this type of repair before have some tips on how to get the plunger out of the pipe? I'm expecting it to be wedged in there pretty tight and covered with hair and what not. A special tool I need to make or purchase to get this thing done with as little pain and suffering as possible? This is a second floor apt. The downstairs apt bathroom is directly below the upstairs apt.

No reports from the downstairs tenant of tub drain problems.

Upstairs tenant says the plunger is broken off and the tub/shower drains very slowly.

plunge1.jpg

locklift.jpg

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I usually use a coat hanger, twisted slightly on the end with a hook.I insert it in the overflow and gently twist the hanger (hopefully catching something.). You may have to try a couple of times.

Its a bit of a fishing expedition. Trial and error alawys works

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks