Tub cleaner

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rburt5, Oct 24, 2010.

1. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I have a 30 year old bathtub that has dark stains/residue left over from when anti-slip things were stuck to its bottom. Is there a solvent or anything that will take it off?

Also, there is rust creeping out from around the drain. Is there anything I can do to keep it from spreading?

I attached pictures of both problems. I really don't want to tear out my tub and replace it with a new one if my old one can be saved.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

30 years is a pretty good life for a steel tub. Clorox/Ajax works fairly well on steel tubs.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

(I think it is by Mr. Clean) The eraser sponge pad seems to clean a bunch of stuff, and isn't highly abrasive. You might give one of those a try.
  4. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I'll try Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and let you know how it works. Chlorox hasn't worked.
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Do you have red staining inside of your toilet tanks? That would indicate you have iron in the water. C.L.R or Super Iron Out might be useful in that case. CLR may be useful for some other things, such as the color being held by a calcium/lime deposit.

Regarding the drain, you have a screw in the middle of the grill. If you could remove that screw, and lift out the piece, that would make it easier to clean that stuff that is now in the crevice around the grill.

Grill is probably not the right word.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The original posting is almost 4 years old, so I doubt that any replies would be relevant at this time.