Trap Arm Cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYFixer

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. This is an excellent site!

I'm in the process of a master bath remodel. Removing tub/shower and replacing with walk in shower. I pulled a permit, so will be getting all work inspected. I'm in California, CPC applies.

The tub drain was 1.5" so I'll be running new 2". The shower trap arm will run from the center of the new shower to the existing vent stack, connecting with a 2" san tee. Below the san tee is a 90 elbow connecting to the waste line. Because the change in direction from trap arm to waste line in > 135 degrees, I plan to install a 2" cleanout in the vent line. The cleanout will be in the wall cavity, accessible from a panel in the adjoining room. Do you see any code compliance problems with this plan?

Trap Arm_Small.png

The shower drain will tie into the existing lav branch. I plan to replace the existing 2x2x1.5 long sweep tee with a 2x2x2. I plan to install a 2" test tee just downstream of the long sweep tee, so I can install a test ball for the pressure test. Does that sound reasonable?

Test Tee_Small.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That all looks good to me.
The 135 degree of change is for horizontal. The trap arm into the santee doesn't count in that. You start counting after the long turn 90. If you are within five feet of a cleanout you're fine.
The test tee is fine too.

DIYFixer

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! It's good to get confirmation from a pro. I've been reading the code for weeks, but with so many rules it's easy to miss something.

There are no other cleanouts within 5 feet of the long turn 90, so I'll keep the planned cleanout in the vent stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks