Toto Drake..tank 1 1/8" from wall ? Fix..??

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by bjack56, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

After reviewing this great site...thanks Terry...I decided on a Toto Drake for replacing a toilet at a rental property. Reviewing the cut sheet for a 12" rough-in I see the tank is 1 1/8" away from the wall.

I see this as a problem waiting to develop. Won't the tank develop leaks or break with large people or those who recline during use? Any fix or other options? I found a toilet on Toto's website, Vespin, that was adjustable for 10-14 rough-in, but can't find reviews or ratings like the more popular Toto models.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

This won't present a problem. Very few toilets regardless of rough-in size will fit with no space between tank and wall. If you will feel better, you can attach a block between the wall and tank. Just go from stud to stud and it will never be seen. I'd stay with the Drake.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Gary is right.
    I almost never have seen a tank pressed against a wall.
    Maybe you should be thinking of a one piece toilet if your tenants like leaning back so hard they break your toilets.
    I thought you only did that in a "Lazy Boy".

The Vespin, is either a 12", 10" or 14" depending on what kit you use.
  4. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Wow...super fast responses appreciated!!

My current toilets (at home) fit so the tank lid is flush or 1/8" max. from the wall. If you have a BIG person there is only "so much" room to fit upon ;-) Not sure what happened, but one of the tank bolts is leaking slightly & a possible broken flange since it rocks a little now. It's on a slab, too.

Figured if I have to pull the toilet I may as well upgrade while I'm at it. I was ready to ket a Kohler Wellworth, because of it's "advertised" flush rating at the box stores until I stumbled onto this forum...thanks Terry.