Toto Drake II Didn't Solve Our Problem - What now?

Users who are viewing this thread

L84Cabo

Reaction score
We're at the tail end of a remodel...and at our wits end. We've got a 14 year old kid that never met a toilet that she couldn't clog. We thought the Drake II would solve our problems. She clogged it first time out! Sigh. We also have a Drake I still to be installed. Will the Drake I be better than the II?

We have one toilet left in the house to replace. It wasn't intended to be part of all this but under the circumstances we may not have a choice. What should it be?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a 1% of the population that plugs most anything.

In that case, you may be looking at something in the Caroma line, or a Kohler Highline Pressure Assist with Flushmate.
The Caroma is gravity with a 3" trapway. The Kohler with Flushmate is a larger than 2" trapway with a pressure tank.

The Drake I will be similar to the II. If she plugs the II, then you have a tough one. I would pick up one toilet for her, and that becomes "her" bathroom.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have her hold the handle down to see if the extra water helps. Also consider an extra earlier flush before the paperwork is done.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah. I have found that the process is as important as the deposit.

Deposit human waste. Flush. Do paperwork. At a certain point, flush again. If more paperwork required, then do it and flush again. And you will still use less than one flush of an old waterhog.

The pressure assist is going to be a lot noisier. And for the Caroma, better make sure that your waste hole is at least 3 inches. I am amazed how many flanges I see on here that have been installed with, say, an inside flange on a 3" pipe, thus reducing it below the width of the outflow of the Caroma. Of course, for a good plumber, changing that stuff out is no big deal, but it isn't going to be free.

Are you guys using Charmin Ultra? If so, dividing up the paperwork or switching to a paper with less rag content may help. If it's the deposit itself, hard to see how that could clog a Drake or Drake II, but I know Terry has seen that 1% occasionally... Usually, it's the paper and the quantity thereof that challenges a toilet.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We're at the tail end of a remodel...and at our wits end. We've got a 14 year old kid that never met a toilet that she couldn't clog. We thought the Drake II would solve our problems. She clogged it first time out! Sigh. We also have a Drake I still to be installed. Will the Drake I be better than the II?

We have one toilet left in the house to replace. It wasn't intended to be part of all this but under the circumstances we may not have a choice. What should it be?

Any chance she is flushing something other than human waste and TP?

E.g. a feminine hygiene product?
E.g. lots of Kleenex?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, the diet of teenagers is lousy...trying to get them to eat any roughage is an almost impossible task. That may or may not be part of the problem. A little bit of something like Metamucil can make a huge difference with some people and has a side benefit of helping to reduce bad cholesterol as well. But, like Terry said, there are some people's bodies that just don't respond to the normal signals that it's time, and things get held much longer than they should, the body extracts more moisture, and no toilet works well passing logs, but the Caroma probably works best of those available.

L84Cabo

Reaction score
There is a 1% of the population that plugs most anything.

In that case, you may be looking at something in the Caroma line, or a Kohler Highline Pressure Assist with Flushmate.
The Caroma is gravity with a 3" trapway. The Kohler with Flushmate is a larger than 2" trapway with a pressure tank.

The Drake I will be similar to the II. If she plugs the II, then you have a tough one. I would pick up one toilet for her, and that becomes "her" bathroom.

Did you just call me a one percenter? ;)

Thank you for the advice! It is greatly appreciated!

And yes, we're sure she's not flushing anything else. I almost wish she was as that would be a much easier problem to solve.

Thanks all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks