Toilet whirls around, won't flush

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by lizzybeth, Feb 19, 2013.

1. lizzybeth

lizzybeth New Member

(I wrote the tile incorrectly; the water doesn't whirl around, it only bubbles.)
    (Also, this is not a low flush toilet but a Kohler 1.6 gallon per flush.)

I'm a plumber's daughter and this one is new to me, as I have prided myself in fixing anything --- before the fall.

We've plunged over and over, and it's been an unused toilet now for a couple months. Company's coming.

The water in the bowl slowly goes down and passes through, but doesn't completely empty the bowl. Then flush and water in the bowl bubbles a bit then fills bowl --- but won't go all the way through.

Have snaked out to kingdom come with the extended snake.

The tank is filling properly. I read somewhere that maybe a grandchild's ball had been flushed down when it behaves like this? Water passing through but no "flush." We're on septic, but the upstairs toilet is working fine, so wouldn't think it's an obstruction in the line.

We'd just go replace it with a Stealth Toilet (have 3 in other homes and very satisfied) but can't find one nearby. (Lowes no longer carrying them.) Any ideas on fixing this one or finding a local Stealth distributor before weekend company arrives. (We shipped Stealths the other times.)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A problem in the septic CAN affect the lower level toilet without causing any problem with the upstairs one. The sinks and tubs would also work normally. DO NOT change the toilet until you know the REAL reason for the problem, otherwise you will have the same problem with the new one. Call your father or a local plumber for a diagnosis.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Any toilet that is 1.6 gpf is a low flow toilet. True, some of the newer ones now use even less water, the you're still in the low flow generation. Many of the first ones were not very good, the manufactures were trying to tweek their old toilet designs to function with less water and that gave the industry a bad name. That is not you problem. You have either a clogged drain or a clog in the toilet. A children's toy is often the problem, but not the only one. Call dad. If the drain needs clearing, he will have the know how to do it. If it is the toilet clogged, he will be able to deal with that.