Toilet waste line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by K2, Dec 5, 2008.

1. K2

K2 New Member

Hopefully a simple question, I didn't see anything directly related to it on the site:

Can the waste line of a toilet run perpendicular to the toilet?

I.e. the Toilet faces North/South and the waste line to the main stack would be run East/West.

I guess in my mind it seems like this could cause flow problems but as long as the right grade is applied it should be o.k., no?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Assuming other aspects of running the line are done properly, this will be no problem.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

You can run it in any direction you want, even straight down, except upwards.
  4. K2

K2 New Member

Thanks! Is there a limit on how far it drops before the Elbow that runs to the main stack? My joists are 6x6's.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Even below 2x12's would be fine.