Toilet not flushing, then leaking

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by tml, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tml

tml New Member

HELP!! :) Yesterday morning my downstairs toilet appeared clogged---water came up to the rim of the bowl. (Of course this kind of thing HAS to happen on a Friday morning as I'm on my way to work!! :)After work,I bought a toilet plunger and it seemed to help, but while plunging I saw a little water splashing out of the bolt cap. This morning the toilet seemed to work fine---it flushed and was apparently working, didn't overlow, flushed completely. However, when I went into the bathroom later, the floor was flooded. Please tell me this could just be maybe a wax ring that needs to be replaced and not the whole toilet.............please???? THANKS for any help you can give!! (I have turned off the water at the wall valve.)
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like a main line backup. A plumber with equipment would be able to clear the main line.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flood

The symptom is a bad wax ring seal. The problem is a backed up sewer line, either the entire main line, or the branch line to the toilet.