Toilet gurgles when flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
When flushing the toilet in bathroom or on the main floor(first floor) the water seems to give a 'gurgling' sound - there does'nt seem to be any bubbles at all (if there are any bubbles there tiny).

The bathtub and bathroom sink drain quickly...no weird sounds and very fast - same also for the basement bathtub ans sink.

The problem just seems to be with the toilets.

SO FAR: I replaced the wax ring around both toilets but same sounds

any advice please?

MY RESEARCH SO FAR: Apparently this could be caused by a partial blockage in either the venting or the city sewer line.

the main toilet is vented through the main stack in is around 2 ft away from the stack - the basement toilet is within 5ft of the main stack and has its own vent.

I also see that there seems to be frequent discolouring to the toilet basin (kinda) yellowish/light brown - we generally have to clean the toilet every wk - is that normal?

Thanks again Novicepiper

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem is most likely an obstruction in the drain. You need a professional to auger it. A DIY hand snake almost certainly will just slip around the obstruction and not clear it. Not likely a vent problem. As to the discolored water, I wonder if there is some galvanized pipe in the water supply. Galvanized pipe is just coated steel and will eventually rust. I suspect it is the rust that is coloring your water. Since this seems to occur only in the toilet, look for a short length of pipe that is just in the toilet supply line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks