Toilet for Ostomy. Single lever, low flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

wlpitcher

Reaction score
The idea of a dual flow toilet seems good to me as solid waste is involved only about 25% of the time in our house. But I can't seem to find a dual flow with a good rating or reviews. And would prefer not to have a button on the middle of the lid where our tissue box sits.

We also have a few requirements as my wife has an ostomy and a good flush in front of the bowl is required, and an elongated bowl a plus. And we don't have much room in front of the toilet, I'd like to hold the overall length to around 28" from the wall, using our existing rough-in of around 13".

Is there recommended toilet with a single lever that can be pushed less than all the way down to get a low flow? 1.6 gpm would be ok. Maybe compact elongated. Can't seem to find a Toto that small. Was looking at the Gerber Avalanche which seem to meet all the needs, but not sure re the low flow single handle feature.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can get a 1 GPF toilet. If you need more, hold the lever down during the flush.

wlpitcher

Reaction score
Does this apply to all toilets? Would thing that the force or flow might decrease after the "design" amount. Not so?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this apply to all toilets? Would thing that the force or flow might decrease after the "design" amount. Not so?
?
sign-question-icon.png
?

Are you asking if there exists a 1 GPF toilet that does not use more water during a flush if you hold the lever down longer?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you have a pressure assisted toilet, the 'energy' that causes the flush is the height of the water in the tank that it has to flow down...i.e., gravity, and for practical purposes, it's a constant...a taller tank and greater fall, the more 'oomph' the flush will have. A good part of that, though, is dependent on the actual design of the water path. Throw in the design of the trapway that lets the waste out, and you'll find some are much better than others.

Toto's dual cyclone flush might work well for you...instead of water 'falling' down from the rim, the bowl wash water is directed horizontally around the bowl from two jets which cause it to swirl down the sides. This covers the bowl better than any other system out there that I'm aware of.

If your rough-in is a true 13", when setting the new toilet, you can often 'fudge' it by maybe as much as 1/2", which will pull the front of the bowl back that amount verses where it would be if you centered the toilet over the flange. A typical toilet's outlet is in the order of 2+", whereas the drain pipe is at least 3" ID, so it will still all go down.

Reach4

Reaction score
I put a Vespin II onto a rough of about 13 inches.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...nifit-or-stick-with-the-12.59681/#post-442544

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/
has marked-up unifit photo.

http://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SS-01100_MS614114CUFG.pdf looks to stick into the room a tad less than Vespin. It is one piece vs Vespin 2 piece. The Vespin I used was 1.6 GPF, but it is available as a "1G".

I am confident those would both use more water on a flush if you hold the handle down.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Having had an Ostomy, I can tell you that the 1G Drake II does a fine job with that.
The II series in TOTO does a very good job of rinsing the bowl with their special glazing in that bowl. I can relate, as while I had the Ostomy, there were some bowls that would take five flushes to rinse out well enough for the next user. The Drake II, Vespin II, Ultramax II were very, very good.
CST454CEFG
CST454CUFG
CST474CEFG
MS604114CEFG
MS614114CEFG

Last edited:

wlpitcher

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I've been away from this for a few days.

The Vespin II spec sheet I downloaded, CST474CEF(G) 1.28gpm, shows a Tornado flush system. A spec sheet I downloaded a while back for the same model number had a Double Cyclone flush. Did they change it or did the name change? I think Terry was recommending the Double Cyclone flush when he referred to the II series.

wlpitcher

Reaction score
OK, same flush with a new name. Thanks.

My space in front of the toilet is very tight due to a shower door swing. If my rough-in is 13", the idea of fudging about 1/2" over the drain line offers another idea. Do you think it would work if I used the 14" unifit and fudged 1/2" away from the wall. This would reduce the clearance behind the toilet from 3/4" to about 1/4". How much clear is required behind the toilet? 1/8" ok if things are a bit off? I'd much rather have the room in front.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK, same flush with a new name. Thanks.

My space in front of the toilet is very tight due to a shower door swing. If my rough-in is 13", the idea of fudging about 1/2" over the drain line offers another idea. Do you think it would work if I used the 14" unifit and fudged 1/2" away from the wall. This would reduce the clearance behind the toilet from 3/4" to about 1/4". How much clear is required behind the toilet? 1/8" ok if things are a bit off? I'd much rather have the room in front.
I had a choice of major fudging with the 12 inch Unifit or the 14 inch Unifit. I chose to use the 12 inch because the 12 has no resale value.

IMO until you get the toilet and have pulled the old toilet, you cannot plan things down to 1/4 inch. I just looked, and it looks as if I have about 1/10 inch from the top of the tank to the wall. I used a level and leveled my toilet rim. If I lean back, the toilet seat pushes the lid to actually touch the wall. If I had only shimmed the back of the base, I would probably have a tad more clearance in back.

Is your shower door swing actually so close to interfering? I had no such interference. I have 24-3/4 clearance to the tub because I felt like maximizing.

Last edited:

Kristina#

Reaction score
Having had an Ostomy, I can tell you that the 1G Drake II does a fine job with that.
The II series in TOTO does a very good job of rinsing the bowl with their special glazing in that bowl. I can relate, as while I had the Ostomy, there were some bowls that would take five flushes to rinse out well enough for the next user. The Drake II, Vespin II, Ultramax II were very, very good.

Would you say that any of these had a deep front? My husband has an ostomy, and doesn’t like a lot of elongated toilets since the bottom of the bowl is right there. He is partial to our round toilet since there is more of a drop than what our elongated toilet offers. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Would you say that any of these had a deep front? My husband has an ostomy, and doesn’t like a lot of elongated toilets since the bottom of the bowl is right there. He is partial to our round toilet since there is more of a drop than what our elongated toilet offers. Thanks!

Then don't get the CST746 series. The bowl in front is very shallow.
The CST454 series is much better for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks