Toilet Flush Systems

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCguy

Reaction score
Wanted to know the difference between a kohler Canister flush valve and the regular kohler flaper models ? I was looking at devonshire model and memoirs one piece toilets and noted the new ones with 1.28 gallon flushes have a canister flush valve and better map ratings ? will the toilet clean better with a canister fush also ? Please help me :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A couple of things to consider: the originator of the MAP test says anything over 500g is plenty. Many of the manufacturers have optimized their designs to flush the plastic wrapped paste, and fail with with 'real' stuff. They are a comparison, but other things need to be taken into consideration. Many of the Kohler products require unique, proprietary parts to repair (the flappers, seals, etc.), and can be quite expensive and difficult to find - often only available from Kohler (unlike many others, where you can pick the part up at the local big box store). Then, check out the actual waste path...some designs have some very severe obtuse angled turns, and are prone to clog (not as much an issue with nice smooth plastic wrapped stuff). So, a comparison probably could be made, but my preference would be to not look at either! I tend to avoid anything Kohler. Take a close look at the side of the thing and check out the actual waste path. Nice smooth, long angles will flow better...pick the one that has the best path and you have a chance. Toto is the largest toilet manufacturer in the world, and makes some good performing units, with some of them made in Georgia...can't always say that about many US brands.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 2" flush valve Kohler tends to keep the bowl a bit cleaner then the larger flush valve. More water was diverted to the bowl rinse with the smaller flush valve.
However, that being said, in certain circumstances, like if you had an ileostomy bag, the 2" flush valve Kohler could take quite a few "full flushes" to clean the bowl. Whereas the Drake II, CST454CEFG would rinse the bowl in one "full flush". I found this out the hard way at a softball party. It was the Ingenium Kohler Memoirs that was giving me a hard time. The Toto Drake II too has the cyclone rinse and CEFIONTECT. The Drake II always does a much better job on the bowl.

Kohler Cannister Flush

Last edited:

NYCguy

Reaction score
Thanks well i did go with the newer model with canister flush as the toilet had a redisign ........ smoother and larger trap based on schematic. Plus it will save money on water and the price was the same. The flush tower is not bad price wise if a replacement is needed its 12.95 from kohler. Was also happy to hear the toilet is 100% made in USA(called Kohler) which is a big plus for me :) was sad to see american standard is basically gone as my old toilet was a 1950's standard, but alas went. I did look at totos but needed a pink color toilet which kohler only had. Will keep all posted on my toilet when it comes :) feel free to share more info on this topic for others to read. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trapway on the Kohler still lays flat to the floor before making the 90 bend to the floor. That's where we find most of the plugs on that model. It does work better then their Ingenium model though.
It would have been nice if Kohler had copied Toto a little more closely, by pointing the waste downward with a bigger sweep.

Like you mention, not many people are making pink right now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks