Toilet Flange too High

Users who are viewing this thread

masrik

Reaction score
So when i installed my floor in my basement bathroom, the flange sat flush with the tile.
The toilet now rocks when i try and install it so i know the flange is too high.
The issue i have is that i have a 4" pipe and i installed a Closet Floor Flange 3 Inch Inside Fit.
If i cut the existing flange with a cable cut and break the tile around it. The pipe inside is still 3". How would i fix this ?
Do i have to chip away at the 3" pipe ? Is there any other way ?

See Pictures ... Thanks in advance.

image(1).jpgimage.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would screw the flange down tight to the floor and see if the toilet clears then.
From your description, you could still cut the flange off and install an outside fit replacement. If you do this, get a flange with a stainless steel ring as they are not so thick, and are less likely to break in the future.

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that your premise is correct. Put the toilet on the floor next to the flange and see how stable it is and whether there is a gap underneath it. Then compare when you dry fit it by dropping it on the flange. A toilet may very well rock when it's just on the floor.

The flange, of course, is SUPPOSED to be installed on top of the finished floor. Accordingly, it doesn't stand to reason that instantly the toilet will be sitting on top of the flange. There is usually a good amount of space underneath. If your premise that the thing is sitting on the flange is correct, then the other advice you received on here is excellent.

masrik

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys.
The toilet sitting on the floor next to the flange sits flush and doesnt rock.
So i am guessing that although i installed the flange correctly above and flush with the tile floor, The flange is probably too thick.
I guess i will have to cable cut the existing flange and drill out the inner pipe .. or get one that sits on the outside ...
This will leave me with a 3" opening so i may actually do both.

Aside form the obvious ... 4" drill bit, Is there a specific type of hole saw i should buy ?

Thanks !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It does look like that flange is slightly above the floor...it needs to be intimate with the floor all the way around it.

To remove a piece of plastic pipe from a hub in a fitting, to be successful, you really want to use the right tool. Someone posted the pictures of a couple of those designed specifically for this. The bottom one looks like a RamBit, and is probably the less expensive version. It is self-guiding so it doesn't eat into the fitting while drilling out the pipe. If you're lucky, you might be able to rent one rather than buy one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One of my inviolate rules is to NEVER use an all plastic flange. One reason being that they ARE very thick, and the second being that they eventurally warp and break. Remove it somehow, then use an "outside" flange with a metal ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks