Toilet Drain - Rough-In Distance from Wall

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jacksmith7, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jacksmith7

jacksmith7 Member

I know a toilet should be roughed in 12" from the finished wall to center of the drain pipe. Unfortunately, whoever plumbed our new house cut that distance short with the basement rough-in, and only allowed 11". I don't want to use a 10" rough-in toilet and prefer not to use an offset flange. Do most toilet's really require that 12" from finished wall, or can I squeak by with 11"? Thank you.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilets

Yes, some do require less room, but you have to go to a showroom and physically measure the different brands to see if they will fit your space. Normally 11 1/4" is about the shortest dimension for a 12" toilet.
  3. chelsea

chelsea New Member

It is funny, we both posted within minutes of each other, and apparently have the exact same problem. :)
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You might want to consider redoing the drain. If this is a new house, you could very well have an issue with the plumber if the building specs were not followed.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A Toto Drake will work at 11", and a few others will too.

That, or you can 10" model.
  6. kingnus

kingnus New Member

Plumbing toilet:

I have had three new homes built and the plumber always cuts short the 12 inch dim. for the toilet. Any reason you plumbers couldn't make the 12 ruf in a little strong? Say by a quarter of an inch.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sometimes some of the rough plumbing goes in before the walls are up...some of the blame might be on the framers.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Or, a floor joist might be just where the toilet flange needs to be. As stated above it's the framers fault!:D

If you look at the specs for toilets you will see a drawing showing the measurements. These show a distance off the wall the toilet is intended to sit. You can use this distance to shoehorn a 12" rough in toilet into a smaller rough in. As Terry stated the Drake is a good example as it has a 1 1/8" space between it and the wall in a 12" rough. You just need to be carefull because the base on some toilets may be the same or less distance and if baseboard is involved it could conflict.http://www.totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfspc/s-cst744sl-1202.pdf