toilet bolt

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by peterl, Apr 12, 2010.

1. peterl

peterl New Member

What do you guys do if the bolt is long that the cap is just hanging on the bolt as oppose to the cap being snug? Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

We cut the bolt shorter after the nut has been tightened down.
  3. peterl

peterl New Member

what do you guys use to cut the bolts? Thank You
    I don't want to sound really dumb but I am thinking a dremel or bolt cutter. Just curious what you guys in the industry use?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Hacksaw. A dremmel with a cutoff blade would work, too. You can also buy segmented, break-off bolts that you grab with a pair of pliers after tight and break off the excess at one of the notches. Not worth it to reset the toilet now, but maybe next time. If you cut the bolt before you put the nut on, you may not get the nut on! You can get it off later because the nut acts like a thread chase and straightens out the bent threads you made by cutting it off.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF you use a bolt cutter, you will need it again when you have to remove the toilet. A Dremel tool also will create a burr which could cause you a problem if the bolt is not secured to the flange. I use a mini-hacksaw which gives a guick smooth cut.