Tips/tricks for vents in attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Never had to combine vents in attic before. Always went straight out roof with one stack. Now i have 3 vents going up 3 walls i need to combine in attic. Any tricks to this? Is it as straight forward as it seems? Flip a sanitee over, make sure there's 1/4" pitch on the horizontal? Since i have 2 lines that need to come to the third one that goes out roof, how high above the joists would you put the first horizontal? A couple inches or a foot? I've never seen this done in person, just in books, that's why i'm asking. Anything i need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea, they need to pitch back towards the drain(s) but not necessarily a quarter inch per foot. Just enough to make them drain. Most guys use upside down plastic J hangers. I like to use strips of 3/4 plywood with holes drilled in them.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Also, the three vents do not need to connect at the same location.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Use lots of supports as the pipe can sag from the heat. I watched an episode of "Ask This Old House" recently where Richard had to redo a horizontal vent in an attic that had a sag which completely filled with water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is pretty much, "do it however it works best for you". There are few "regulations" regarding vents as long as they do NOT turn downward before connection together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks