Time to replace galvanized where meeting copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

boyler99

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently noticed some rusty deposits on the top of my water heater, so I looked up and discovered the galvanized pipes are connected directly to newer copper pipes. I understand this is not a good idea unless a dielectric union is used because corrosion occurs quickly. My question is, how "quickly" does it occur, and should I make it a priority to replace these fittings ASAP? Should I replace with dielectric unions, or should I replace ALL of the old galvanized pipes?

The galvanized plumbing is from 1951, so it's going on 60 years old. Most of it is exposed in the unfinished basement. I found about 4 places where the old galvanized pipe is fitted with newer copper piping, and attached some photos here. They all look like they are corroding. I'd rather not wait for a leak to develop, but I also don't want to be hasty in incurring the expense of replacing the galvanized pipes all the way back to the street if I don't need to. Is it better to replace with copper or PEX?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 562

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
It's all up to the galvy fittings. If they are still in good condition, thread wise, then transition to either PEX or copper but the only way to find out is to start unthreading connections and see the condition of the pipes. Wouldn't hurt to have your plumber's opinion on site as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime you mix copper and galvanized, the galvanized is going to lose badly.
Even the dialectic unions close up pretty quickly.

Replacing with PEX or copper is a good idea when you have some handy time. These connections don't tend to blow apart, they just close up.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That buried galvanized has got to be about to fall apart! The interior can't be in very good shape either, but it's not being attacked from the outside. You are going to have to replace the pipes soon. How you go about it is up to you. You can pick a time when weather isn't too bad for working outside and do the outside only. Then replace the rest of it piece meal as it fails. But, realize Murphy's Law will apply about pipes failing at the worst possible time. Or, you can just bite the bullet and replace it all and be done with it.

bbsux

Custodian
Reaction score
I feel for you... I too had a basement full of copper-galvanized with no unions. (made worse because its a two story and they had used 1/2" right out of the 5/8" meter!)

I ended up pulling all of it out and rerunning 3/4" copper and reusing a lot of the old 1/2" copper for fixture runs. (this was at first part of summer when copper was still higher priced)

probably should have done pex...

But anyways, I recommend replacing it asap. Its too much of a headache to be worrying about all the time...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks