thread sealants

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by scott99, Feb 1, 2007.

1. scott99

scott99 New Member

I'm in the process of a shower redo and am looking for some first hand feedback on thread sealant.

I'm looking at either Rectorseal t+2, or Rectorseal Tru-Blu. I'm sure both will work fine, but am looking for someone experienced with both.

Also I've been using a non-tinning flux, but most threads I see state that the tinning fluxes are like buying cheap insurance. so I'll probably be switching unless there is any downside to it?
  2. Rectoseal

I used rectoseal a long time ago

It stinks and it is pretty NASTY, so I have not used it in years....

If you have ever had a full quart can of that stuff spill
    over in your tool box on a hot summer day you will know
    why I dont care for it....

The true blue stufff will actually stick to concrete like paint
    and makes a hell of a mess
    and it takes time to clean it up....

Also, with some plastics the rectoseal will have a
    chemical reaction and will warp the plastics......
    ISE garbage disposals had an issue with rectoseal
    used on their plastic bodies at the drain coonnection..

I suggest just common pro dope, or oaty white silicone
    type pipe dope , slick tight, anything you would normally find at LOWES .....

anything is better than over-priced crappy stuff.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

The Tru Blu is for high vibration environments.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I like the Tplus2 stuff by rectorseal.
  5. kordts

kordts In the Trades

I use tape and Mega-Loc.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

For thread sealant my favorite is Gasoila. It can also be used on all plastics.
  7. Joerg

Joerg New Member

I am surprised nobody seems to be using hemp and paste anymore like in the good old days.

Regards,

Joerg.
  8. I've used Megaloc for years but recently I've been buying that white thread sealant from HD.

Comes in numerous sized cans and it is white. Don't dare get it on your clothes though.

I've slowly gotten away from megaloc because of how chunky it can be at times. I have two large cans left so I have a while before I stop using it all together.
  9. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I've always had good results with common gray pipe dope. Oatey's plumbing pipe compound and thread sealant does well. Rectorseal #5 has really been good. I started using it when piping a plant for 2" galvanized pipe air lines and it worked fantastic on some really bad threads...definitely hard to get off the hands and good reason for rubber gloves. T+2 is good when threading metal to PVC and works pretty good on about any kind of threaded pipe. I don't use much teflon tape and usually only in visible locations because it really looks neat.
  10. Cal

Cal New Member

Grey pro dope .

Wish they made the brush longer so I could use ALL that i bought !

Cal
  11. Cass

Cass Plumber

I had a can of the Gray dope hanging around ( hate throwing things away)and tried it, again, last week on a top feed laundry faucet with union connections and it leaked. I threw it away. I have never been able to have it work well enough to use it. I'll stick with my Gasoila.
  12. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

ain't that the truth