Theres a hole in the drain line of my Kohler toilet HELP PLEASE Water everywhere!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

shilo48

Reaction score
:confused:I'm trying to install a Kohler toilet. After the second time of trying to fill the tank and BEFORE filling the bowl, water started leeking out all over the bottom on to the floor. First time thought I needed a larger wax ring, but that did nothing.So I tipped over the toilet to look for a crack and found a Hole in what looks to be the drain line. This hole has been molded into the toilet but nothing is pluging it and somehow as I'm filling the tank water starts coming outonto the floor. Has any one got any info about this hole (it looks like it could be some sort of clean out) but what do you plug it with???? It's under the bowl, in the front part of the underside of the toilet. :(:
I've tried looking on kohlers website for info but found nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

shilo48

Reaction score
update

Here’s what I found out. I talked to Kohler and they said it was a defective toilet (but you guys already knew that). Because it is molded in, the size of a quarter wide and about 1.5 inches deep and 3/4 inches thick (the porcelain or whatever makes up the bowl) I thought maybe some kind of plug went in and it could work as some sort of clean out. They said it had probably been exchanged for a new one and instead of pitching it someone gave it to Habitat for Humanity where I purchased it from. Shame on me for the spend a buck to save a quarter approach but it’s also for the cause. Anyway with all this said I now have an ever bigger problem.
I Love the toilet, its color and shape. It is one of their discontinued models and ever though there are distributors that sell discontinued models they don't have this color. So ever if I spring the 250.00 to have the 175.00 bowl sent to me it won't be the right color. I matched my wall and tile colors off this color. I'm all most tempted to do the unthinkable and try some how to plug the hole, with something that would still allow the clean fill water of the tank to pass by (like a boat plug and some silicone) and see if it holds up for a while, maybe even to the next bath remolding party. The water that hits this spot is coming out while I'm filling the tank, so it’s clean water. As of right now the bowl itself still has not seen a drop of water. I'll ponder this thought, and see if I'm really that board. Anyway THANKS for your help, I thought I had something only the best would know about, and you hit the nail on the head.
:confused:I bet you guys and gals (if there are any) are thinking which is more defective My thinking or the Toilet:eek::D
Thanks again for this place that I frequent once in a while to learn from the best.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many, many times, I pull toilets that don't work well for customers. Then they talk about donating the bad working toilet to Habitat for Humanity like somehow it's going to work better for a stranger.
I don't get it! In what way are they doing anyone a favor. The old toilets are not even legal to install anymore. Many water districts are paying $100 for people to dispose of the old clunkers, and by dispose, they don't mean re-install, sell to someone else, donate them to charity, they mean, bust them up and get rid of the old water wasting porcelain pieces of junk.

By the way, my neighbor two doors down has had several trucks in front of her place, plumbers and water damage repair vehicles. She must have had a leak on her plumbing and you can guess that it's into the tens of thousands for repairs right now based on the number of vehicles I'm seeing outside her place.

I would never, ever install a leaking toilet in my place or for anyone else. But then, it's your dollars. You have insurance right?

shilo48

Reaction score
Terry point well taken, the idea behind Habit was different, but what it’s become is another story.
I do have insurance just don’t think I’ve got the guts to try to repair and then use it. I’m at the point that sleeping at night really means something to me and I’m not willing to give that up.

Anyway, just to make maybe some sense out of all this, I spoke with a gentleman who told me that when the bowls are made they insert a batter (balloon) for the drain line that later they pop, remove, and then repair the void, at least this makes some sense as to why the hole is where it is, and how it could have happened. He claimed it could be fixed with some resin compound but I think I’ll give him the toilet, and let him try that if he chooses, and wants a wild rose toilet. Who knows it might work how many have been desperate enough to try? I’ve heard it said on this forum “Being smart is knowing what you dumb at”.
Thanks again, to all and may everyone have a productive day at whatever they endeavor to do

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I had a neighbor who bought a Kohler toilet from HD, and after he tried for a week to get it to stop leaking he called me. As soon as I removed the tank I told him it was defective, because Kohler had painted the red stripe across the tank opening indicating it had NOT passed inspection. When I called Kohler to find out WHY it had been shipped, they told me, "It is impossible defective items NEVER leave the plant." Which is why I tell people that items from the big box stores could be defective, since THEY are going to be the final inspector. IF it is bad, but you keep it, then they are money ahead, if you return it, they would have had to destroy it anyway, so there is nothing lost. I would not take a chance on a repair, because I have had toilets which were "repaired" at the factory, fail several years later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks