The grease/lube in Sharkbite fittings

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chefwong, Mar 31, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

What do you suppose the grease/lube in the Sharkbite fittings is for. To keep the O Ring from Drying out .

I never realized there was grease until....from my previous project, in which I used a couple of SB caps while roughing out the room.
    Took off the caps, put them in a container for storage. Was just rummaging some stuff and came across the container of Sharkbites. Interesing....as all the grease had fallout.....and pooled in the bottom of the container, which caught my eye. I actually thought it was flux, ptfe, etc buildup from the pipes...and it had accumulated on the inside of the cap.

Checked them out at Homers and there is clear grease on the bottom of these things..
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There has to be an MSDS available from the manufacturer. My initial guess would be a silicone-based grease.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Silicone grease to ease the fitting sliding on to the tubing.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The seal is o-ring(s). You want it to slide in place, not roll, possibly coming out of its groove. Lubrication allows that. Since it is rated for potable use, my guess is also that it's silicon based.