The grease/lube in Sharkbite fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
What do you suppose the grease/lube in the Sharkbite fittings is for. To keep the O Ring from Drying out .

I never realized there was grease until....from my previous project, in which I used a couple of SB caps while roughing out the room.
Took off the caps, put them in a container for storage. Was just rummaging some stuff and came across the container of Sharkbites. Interesing....as all the grease had fallout.....and pooled in the bottom of the container, which caught my eye. I actually thought it was flux, ptfe, etc buildup from the pipes...and it had accumulated on the inside of the cap.

Checked them out at Homers and there is clear grease on the bottom of these things..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The seal is o-ring(s). You want it to slide in place, not roll, possibly coming out of its groove. Lubrication allows that. Since it is rated for potable use, my guess is also that it's silicon based.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks