Tankless gas water heater overflow pipe?

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by philipk65, Apr 30, 2014.

1. philipk65

philipk65 New Member

Hi,

I just move into a new house and it has a Eternal gas (propane) tankless water heater.

I've noticed that it has a overflow PVC pipe running to the outside of the house and it seems to always be dripping. Is this normal?

Also, would I be better off to switch it out for an electric one?

Thanks! Kevin
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Eternal tankless is a high efficency model, and what you are seeing when it is running is condensation. That's normal.
    When a heater squeezes all the heat it can, a byproduct in the exhaust is water. That water needs to be drained off. You will notice that the exhaust is plastic pipe. That's to prevent rust through.

http://www.eternalwaterheater.com/

[​IMG]

If you have a floor drain, you can run the condensation there.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  3. philipk65

philipk65 New Member

Thanks Terry!

I your opinion, would you stick with this Eternal propane tankless or switch to an electric model?

Thanks again. Kevin
  4. Justin B. Williams

Justin B. Williams New Member

stick with the propane .. much more efficent, although i have never been a fan of electric heating apliances