Sweating toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Payne

Reaction score
I am ready to purchase Drake 11 but does Drake 11 solve sweating problem at homes on water on wells?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I cannot speak for the Drake specifically but most modern toilets have less of a sweating problem than the older models. First off, they use less water so a larger percentage of the water has sat in the pipes getting tepid. Second, only about half of the water in the tank is used in the flush so the colder water mixes with the tepid water.

Under heavy use such as a party, it is possible to get some sweating and to combat it, you could use a mixing valve to blend in a bit of warm water. I have install several of them over the decades to combat the problem. When I plumbed my current home, I deliberately tapped into the end of the trunk line with the hot and cold so that it would have more volume sitting in the pipes. Also, the small amount of mixed in hot under normal use was just tepid but the faucet then ran hot a little sooner.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake only uses 1.28 gallons on the flush; barely any of the water coming from the tank.
The bowl refill bypasses the tank and goes directly into the overflow tube to fill the bowl. So maybe 1.1 gallons leaves the tank, leaving most of the water in the tank.

The original Drake can be ordered with the ST743SD tank, which is a 1.6 gallon, insulated tank. I sold one on Friday to Wasilla Alaska.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Insulated or not, if a toilet is repeatedly flushed with cold water in a high humidity, it will eventually get cold enough to cause condensation. The modern toilets are much less prone to condensation for 'normal' use, since the cold incoming water gets diluted by the room-temp water that's left in the tank from a flush. Flush it before it can warm up, and it gets colder, regardless of the insulation which only slows the transfer of heat, not stop it.

If you flush often enough, then the only way to resolve this is to use tempered water (i.e., mix some hot in with a special mixing valve) to keep the incoming water above the dew point, but for many, one of the new low-flush toilets resolves the problem without doing anything else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks