Surface mount shower control?

Users who are viewing this thread

paule123

Reaction score
We're thinking of putting in a pocket door that will slide into the wall where the shower control and hot/cold water lines are currently planned -- is there such a thing as a surface mounted mixing valve? I know there are the surface mounted chrome bars with the hose/shower wand thingy, but I've never seen one with the ability to control the hot/cold water mix.

Otherwise I guess we bump the wall out an inch or something to accomodate the 1/2" copper lines?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I put a pocket door into a shower wall once.

It lasted about a month.
Then I tore the tile off and built the wall solid, threw away the pocket door and put on a swing door.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a pocket door in a shower or tub wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Grohe makes one, I've got one installed, and there's a pocket door behind it! I used a hand shower with an adjustable height bar. The only thing coming out of the wall are the two supply lines. If you go that way, make sure you VERY carefully get the supply el's the right depth.

Now, I built that wall out using standard 2x4 lumber. I wouldn't want to try that on a thin wall using the thin studs that come with a pocket door assembly (unless your walls are not the common ones made with 2x4 studs; i.e., maybe a 2x6?). Depends on your feelings on style - I found it acceptable to have that section of wall thicker than normal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks