Superstorm Sandy

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
That is very bad Bob. Now, I guess is the time for people, to stay home as much as possible until, things improve. Or, car pool to work and school. I always check on my neighbors here, even, the nasty one, lol. I figure I will someday get my reward someday. :)

Are you near the Long Island medium? I wonder why she didn't see this coming with the storm! But, I have a few questions I want to ask her, someday. :)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is very bad Bob. Now, I guess is the time for people, to stay home as much as possible until, things improve. Or, car pool to work and school. I always check on my neighbors here, even, the nasty one, lol. I figure I will someday get my reward someday. :)

Are you near the Long Island medium? I wonder why she didn't see this coming with the storm! But, I have a few questions I want to ask her, someday. :)
Actually she (Long Island Medium) is only a few miles from here. The weather foecasters knew what was going to happen more than a week before it hit. The power company twiddled their thumbs all that time. Now our Governor, Andrew Cuomo is considering firing all their executives, as they are a publicly owned utility, not a private company.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am so glad we are the "bestest" of friends, :) Maybe, you could sneak her my questions, and then, tell me what she said!

Now, it is GREAT to hear things are going better in NY. Less people without power, and, what would had been the runners are helping out... things will work out, always does. Just takes time.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am so glad we are the "bestest" of friends, :) Maybe, you could sneak her my questions, and then, tell me what she said!

Now, it is GREAT to hear things are going better in NY. Less people without power, and, what would had been the runners are helping out... things will work out, always does. Just takes time.

Not so fast Cookie! The gas lines are getting worse, the nights are getting colder, the people are getting nastier. Fights break out at gas stations due to people "jumping the line". It is not a comfortable situation to be in. Ever see the old movie "Escape From NY" (1981)? Its like that now. Well it seems almost like it to me:(. Stressful, even to a native New Yorker.

Still 250,000 people without power on Long Island alone.

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, Bob, if I can weather Shingles for the 4th time, I think, I lost count, you can find that "medium" in the gas line, lol. I am getting my questions ready, :)

... and, for that junk on the net about getting Shingles once? That is a crock. I got more shingles than a roof.

Cookie

Reaction score
Their is a time for everything, now, is the time to stay indoors, out of gas lines especially, as much as possible. Anyone who has sick time, vacation time should maybe, consider using it.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Their is a time for everything, now, is the time to stay indoors, out of gas lines especially, as much as possible. Anyone who has sick time, vacation time should maybe, consider using it.
You got that right! I already told my boss (cough, cough!) I'll be ill when my tank is below 1/4 full

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Now, Bob, if I can weather Shingles for the 4th time, I think, I lost count, you can find that "medium" in the gas line, lol. I am getting my questions ready, :)

... and, for that junk on the net about getting Shingles once? That is a crock. I got more shingles than a roof.
Maybe she has a personal shopper on line for her. Right now, I might pay somebody 25 bucks an hour to stay on line for me. Of course it would have to be somebody I could trust with my truck and upfront monet to buy the gas. That's a laugh in itself. Most gasoline lines are over 2 hour waits. here is some info from Hess Gasoline as to inventories at their stations

http://hessexpress.com/FuelInformation You can see the inventories for Long Island, NY stations look pretty dismal.
Cookie, did you ever get a Shingles vaccination before your first time, if it was available?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
What about renting a small car? Something better on gas? Park the truck for a while. I would lend you mine, lol, but, warning, there is no working heater, defroster and it needs an exhaust system, lol. but, it is good on gas. :)

Well, those with Lymphoma or blood cancers cannot get the Shingles vaccine, or I would had been the first person in line. We, can't get any live vaccine, which leaves out most, including the one I really need. I had wanted to work part time in the school system and had to prove I am seaworthy, well, I didn't float. The test proved, 700.00 later, out of pocket 700.00; that I am without antibodies to anything, nothing, zip, nada, zilch. It is amazing. lol. They detected I had mumps, which I did when much younger, whooping cough when much younger, and measles countless times, yet! I am without the capability to fight: Measles, Rubella,Varicell-Zoster, Mumps, Whooping Cough, off. And, Hepatitis, which I am able to get the vaccine to due to, it is a deaden virus. The rest is a no-no, for those like me. I can't work with kids or the school. The principal was willing to look the other way, but, was afraid for me, and after some thought, I was afraid for me,, imagine, all those diseases what that would do to my complexion. So, I passed. Life can be unfair, all depends on how you view it. I consider it a gift, for I know first hand how others can feel, and that makes me a better person. Except for relatives, lol.

I get Shingles on Tim's birthday every year, now, this is the third year. I think, that is a lousy present to me, lol. I am told seriously, it is from stress. I get stress-related shingles. Dig that. Other people get migraines, ulcers, they drink, take drugs, have affairs, get road rage, I get shingles... lol.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, those gas lines, if someone would come around and have a big coffee urn, and offer people coffee while waiting, people get sociable. Instead of maybe, punching or pulling a gun on someone, they might talk and become social. Ever see those on the interstates at the truck stops? This won't last forever, things will get better there, but, in the meantime, maybe, the owners of the stations could offer free drinks/and take donations for the coffee.

A simple cup of coffee, or a bottle of water, can defuse a situation and perhaps, save a life otherwise, when, someone flips out standing there when someone jumps in front of him.

Small things really matter.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
But, then, sometimes, there is just that person... like last week, (at my part time job) some other employee didn't take this man's special order right on his uniform, and, I was there, at the wrong time, so, he called me, an "idiot." I waited until, he got mostly out the door, and I saluted him. lol. No bottled up rage here. :)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
But, then, sometimes, there is just that person... like last week, (at my part time job) some other employee didn't take this man's special order right on his uniform, and, I was there, at the wrong time, so, he called me, an "idiot." I waited until, he got mostly out the door, and I saluted him. lol. No bottled up rage here. :)

We all have to "make concessions" to our customers. Your example guy is an a-hole for sure, though.

Now, most gas stations can't get gasoline because there is a shortage of Ethanol, and gasoline is not allowed to be sold locally here (due to EPA restrictions) without 10% ethanol. It gets worse and worse Cookie.
I was able to handle crap like this much better years ago. As one man in the video says "now we'v been reduced to this". Its much worse than it looks in the video though. right now about 80% of gas stations have no gas, and those that do, have very long lines, and unless you are near the fron of that line, you may not get to the pump before they run out, after having waited HOURS on line. Talk about flying tempers!

see this video from a local TV station here.. http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=339669&position=1&news_type=news

By the way, my truck is only a compact pickup, but it does not get good mileage. My wife has a Mazda 6 that does much better.

Cookie

Reaction score
We all have to "make concessions" to our customers. Your example guy is an a-hole for sure, though.

Now, most gas stations can't get gasoline because there is a shortage of Ethanol, and gasoline is not allowed to be sold locally here (due to EPA restrictions) without 10% ethanol. It gets worse and worse Cookie.
I was able to handle crap like this much better years ago. As one man in the video says "now we'v been reduced to this". Its much worse than it looks in the video though. right now about 80% of gas stations have no gas, and those that do, have very long lines, and unless you are near the fron of that line, you may not get to the pump before they run out, after having waited HOURS on line. Talk about flying tempers!

see this video from a local TV station here.. http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=339669&position=1&news_type=news

By the way, my truck is only a compact pickup, but it does not get good mileage. My wife has a Mazda 6 that does much better.

Yeah, he was, alittle stressed out, lol. Someone must had stolen all his uniforms while he was sleeping. And, trust me, he wouldn't look good naked. :) Way back in high school my IQ was 140, if those numbers matter any. I would be car pooling with the wife in the Mazda and going out only when necessary. It won't last forever, nothing does, not good or bad. I think, your people of the state, should be lining up outside the governor's office to show their support to allow the gas to be sold without the Ethanol, for now. It would be short-term.

Getting the Salvation Army in there to help out with coffee and a few good, cookies, wouldn't hurt.

Here you go Bob, I got a prescription patch called in for me, for the aftermath of these shingles, 290.00 bucks, LOL... my prescription company won't pay for them. The good news? At least they will work... the patches, not the company. :) Good thing, Tim only has one birthday a year, I couldn't afford two.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, Bob, did you read per chance that gas is being sold on Craig's list for I think.... I read, 130 bucks a gallon?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Things weren't bad enough here. Had a Nor'Easter that dumped almost 6 inches of snow. Normally, 6 inches is no big deal here, but it certainly does no good for buying non-available gas, and makes it more miserable if possible for those poor people that lost their homes and/or still have no power or heat. I think there are still 200,000 people here without power. So, so sad

Cookie

Reaction score
LOL Cookie

I read something, somewhere, about it being sold, can't remember the cost; now, I checked and saw some on Craig's for 15 bucks a gallon, but, the ones I saw were flagged, and taken down.

Cookie

Reaction score
Things weren't bad enough here. Had a Nor'Easter that dumped almost 6 inches of snow. Normally, 6 inches is no big deal here, but it certainly does no good for buying non-available gas, and makes it more miserable if possible for those poor people that lost their homes and/or still have no power or heat. I think there are still 200,000 people here without power. So, so sad

Well, hopefully, it won't last long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks