Planning my kitchen remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

sajesak

Reaction score
I'm planning my remodel right now. I received two quotes so far that will be north of 30k with materials. Based on how complicated(not very) I think my remodel will be and my current house value / neighborhood I do not feel like paying that much.

After those quotes my wife and I went to Ikea and built our kitchen using their modeler. 15% off sale going on there and 20% off sale going on with semihandmadedoors for DIY unfinished shaker doors(I would spray these) would probably save us 5 grand on cabinets while only sacrificing wood cabinet boxes but gaining wood / mdf fronts instead of laminate. We didn't really like any of the ikea fronts. They also seem quite simple to install. Man some traditional cabinet places are a rip off though...Laminate fronts with wood boxes = 9k or more.

We want to put down hardwood with some stone around the front door entry way. We will also have an island with our sink, dishwasher and a couple more cabinets. We are thinking of doing the 2-level island with seating for the 2nd level. I'll farm out drywall, electrical and plumbing but I more or less plan on doing everything else myself. Should save me about 10k or so combined with ikea / semihandmade cabs.

Seems we will have to paint the cabinets a boring color cause resale...zzz. My wife likes some navy blue fronts she saw. I could always repaint them but that wouldn't be too fun come house selling time. We will be doing all the demo including ripping up the flooring(parquet) in the adjacent hallway to replace that flooring too. We will also do all the painting.

sajesak

Reaction score
I'm planning my remodel right now. I received two quotes so far that will be north of 30k with materials. Based on how complicated(not very) I think my remodel will be and my current house value / neighborhood I do not feel like paying that much.

After those quotes my wife and I went to Ikea and built our kitchen using their modeler. 15% off sale going on there and 20% off sale going on with semihandmadedoors for DIY unfinished shaker doors(I would spray these) would probably save us 5 grand on cabinets while only sacrificing wood cabinet boxes but gaining wood / mdf fronts instead of laminate. We didn't really like any of the ikea fronts. They also seem quite simple to install. Man some traditional cabinet places are a rip off though...Laminate fronts with wood boxes = 9k or more.

We want to put down hardwood with some stone around the front door entry way. We will also have an island with our sink, dishwasher and a couple more cabinets. We are thinking of doing the 2-level island with seating for the 2nd level. I'll farm out drywall, electrical and plumbing but I more or less plan on doing everything else myself. Should save me about 10k or so combined with ikea / semihandmade cabs.

Seems we will have to paint the cabinets a boring color cause resale...zzz. My wife likes some navy blue fronts she saw. I could always repaint them but that wouldn't be too fun come house selling time https://mayflowerva.com/kitchen-remodeling-potomac-md. We will be doing all the demo including ripping up the flooring(parquet) in the adjacent hallway to replace that flooring too. We will also do all the painting.
thanks in advance for any help

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great! I dont have suggestions yet but if you come into any specific questions Ill help if I know

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks