Sump Basin - Perforated or Solid?

Users who are viewing this thread

pikabb

Reaction score
I'm replacing the sump basin/liner in my home which is currently a perforated 5 gallon bucket surrounded by gravel. I have an interior drain system that has two pipes terminating into the gravel pit area (but not into the basin itself - the water dumps into the gravel and through the holes in the bucket). We have a high water table and the sump runs every few minutes on normal days.

My question is: should I replace the bucket with a solid liner, with openings for the drain pipe to go directly into the basin to be pumped out.... or should I use a perforated liner that allows water to come in in addition to the drain pipes? It seems counter-intuitive to me to have the drain pipes empty into a basin with holes in it... but maybe I'm missing something and water needs to be allowed in in addition to the drains?

I really appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think would go bigger, and start with a non-perforated liner. Bring in the pipes. Then I would drill some additional 3/16 holes up higher to provide an additional collection point.

I only put in one sump, and that had no pipes. Having the pipes is better, but mine worked great. I drilled holes lower than I would if I did it again.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In some homes the drain tiles are on top of the footings and the entire bed of stone under the slab will retain water which can exit via perforations in the basin. This is pretty common where the subsoil is clay.

pikabb

Reaction score
In some homes the drain tiles are on top of the footings and the entire bed of stone under the slab will retain water which can exit via perforations in the basin. This is pretty common where the subsoil is clay.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way I can check? The drainage pipe appears to run along the perimeter of the basement, under the slab, and next to the footings. There appears to be a bed of gravel under the entire slab though.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
To be sure you would need to open up the floor and look. I think the question to be asked is what would be the downside of having a perforated basin?

pikabb

Reaction score
28D48F2C-90C0-4838-97C2-F4BC2B683540.jpeg

To be sure you would need to open up the floor and look. I think the question to be asked is what would be the downside of having a perforated basin?

I agree and that’s what I’m trying to figure out :) My own hypothesis is that with perforations there may be excess water removal happening from the water table which isn’t necessary. That and the water entering the basin from the drain pipes will just recirculate back into the ground.

I’ve attached a picture of the current setup if that helps at all. Note that I’ve already removed some of the gravel from the pit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks