Suggestions for pipe too short (or too long)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonny5

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of my shower remodel and ready to install final plumbing fixtures. I had a plumber out to do rough-in work a month ago but figured I could handle the 'easy' job of putting a few fixtures up myself. The shower set up has both a fixed shower head and a wand on a hose, problem is with this wand/hose connection. There are 3 parts to connect here; roughed in connection behind wall, fixture that sits flush on the shower wall and a short piece of 1/2" threaded pipe between those 2 things. I have two sections of pipe, 2" and 2 1/2", unfortunately neither really work. The 2 1/2" is a good 1/8" too long and the 2" is obviously too short. I've called around to several plumbing supply places to see if by any chance anyone carries a 2 1/4" piece or can thread a piece that short, no to both.

I'm thinking my only option is to apply quite a bit of (Teflon) pipe tape to the threads of the 2" section and cross my fingers but is there a better choice for this? I'm a little leery on having that much tape on there and having it leak. The pipe tape is actually what the plumber said to do if I needed to use the 2" section of pipe. Would using either pipe tape or pipe dope be "better" in this situation?

I know the threads are tapered on the pipe so I'm guessing cutting an 1/8" or so off the longer piece wouldn't really do anything for me.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to finish this job ASAP. And pulling some tile and opening the wall isn't really an option I want to do.

Thanks in advance!!

Reach4

Reaction score
1/2 NPT is 14 threads per inch.

When you decided that the 2-1/2 inch long nipple (that is what those threaded pieces of pipe are called), how did you determine that. Did you crank as hard as you could, or did you stop sooner? Are you sure you can't give it two more turns, even with teflon tape on the threads? That means only one turn tighter on each end of the nipple.

Jonny5

Reaction score
1/2 NPT is 14 threads per inch.

When you decided that the 2-1/2 inch long nipple (that is what those threaded pieces of pipe are called), how did you determine that. Did you crank as hard as you could, or did you stop sooner? Are you sure you can't give it two more turns, even with teflon tape on the threads? That means only one turn tighter on each end of the nipple.

Actually as it turns out I tried using the long nipple again after posting my original question, with NO Teflon tape on it (I originally had 2 or 3 wraps on one end of the nipple). With no tape at all it does make it to where it needs to be. Now my question is which adds less to the threads, pipe thread or pipe dope? Obviously I need a little of one of them on the threads.

And I've ruled out the 2" nipple as it's definitely too short, I'd only be able to catch 1, maybe 2 threads on each end using that.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, but with enough force, I expect either can squish out pretty much.

I would go two or 2 wraps on each end, and use a bigger wrench.

I expect there would be enough length on the nipple to cut a little more on the nipple with a die.

Do not use a galvanized nipple. Use brass or CPVC.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipe dope fills voids which seals the fitting to the pipe. Teflon is a registered trademark of Dupont and they never made plumbing tape...but, it does add thickness to the pipe and could limit slightly how deep you can drive it into the fitting. A good coating of pipe dope will work fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks