submersible run with no pressure tank or switch?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by merc4, Sep 4, 2012.

1. merc4

merc4 New Member

I just need to pump from a spare well, into my pond (drought) Can I just run the wires and plug it in, with no switch/pressure tank? Obviously it would be Running non stop for a day or 2 at a time?

thanks, Merc
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

We do it all the time. Just make sure that there is no way it can be blocked in while running. It will either nuke the pump or nuke the well, and either one can be bad.
  3. merc4

merc4 New Member

Thanks Wellman, appreciate the quick reply!!
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

How deep is the well and the static water level? If the well and the pond is in the same aquifer, you are just going to recirculate the water.

If there is not enough head on the pump, you might risk up-thrust on the impellers which can be detrimental to the pump. You might consider choking the flow back a bit to simulate head.