Stripped Screw & Broken Extractor - Shower Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

emurdoch

Reaction score
I was trying to remove the shower faucet. It's Delta Monitor that's about 12 years old and the set screw just wouldn't budge... so, I cleaned with CLR let it soak in WD40 for a while.

Still managed to strip the screw using an Allen wrench, so I drilled it out and tapped in a Screw Extractor... but that broke off inside the faucet. (see pic)

There's very little space in there to get any kind of grip on the extractor and I'm out of ideas.
IMG_0114.JPG

emurdoch

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply... I wasn't sure that a dill bit would work on the hard Extractor metal.
Are you thinking that I should just use the biggest bit I can fit in there and keep removing material until the handle comes off?

I need to replace the cartridge anyway, so I'm almost tempted to take a sawsall to the handle...I'd rather replace the handle versus busting tiles to get at the valve and replace everything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks