Strange Offset Flange (How do I put a wax ring on it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
This offset flange seems strange to me. It seems the rough in was at about 14" and they used an offset flange to bring it back a bit.

6EAQNPQ.jpg

T1xJpmY.jpg

How would I get a wax seal on that properly. There's a very thin area for it to seat in the front right where the pipe opening is. Is this a common type of offset flange?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not a fan of those offset flanges. I would not go with a horn wax, as that leaves even less of a passageway to the drain. You can mold the wax rings as needed there.
I would feel better using a standard flange there with a 12" toilet and being okay with the extra space behind the tank. With the Unifit option from TOTO it's more common to use a standard flange and shift the bowl with the Unifit.

unifit_choice.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's say you were going to mount a toilet there or a Unifit adapter there. For the wax, I would get a couple wax rings and some nitrile or rubber gloves. I would mold the wax to fit as best I could. I would smoosh it into the crannies. And get it to be at a good height. The reason I suggested two rings is so that you can have enough wax.

You don't actually need gloves. The gloves let you avoid having to clean off your hands. The wax is not harmful or irritating.

I am not a plumber.

Geobrick

Reaction score
Terry, Thanks for the quick reply. It's for a condo we're about to sell and I've got a Cadet 3 pro ready to install so I think I'll go with your suggestion for using a standard wax ring (no horn) and see how it goes.

I've used the unifit before when I installed a Toto with that system. It was great (I think I posted pictures of the install a couple of years ago). I assume only certain models of Toto's have that system.

Reach4, I plan to buy 2 and I've got a box of harbor freight nitrile gloves ready to go.

I'll report back when it's done.

The old Briggs toilet I pulled out seemed to have no seal at all. I have know idea how long it's been like that (it's not my place). Do insects ever eat wax? The condo is in south Florida.

Geobrick

Reaction score
OK. It's done. I meant to take a photo of my wax mold but forgot. I used to rings to form into a large ring around the flange with the bolts surrounded by wax and used the rest to fill in the gaps as recommended. All is good.

I really liked installing the Cadet 3 Pro. There were no obvious defects and the tank mated with the bowl without a problem (unlike the champion 4 tank/bowl issues I had about 6 or 7 years ago). I liked the plastic tool they supply to tighten down the tank bolts and I like that they provided special nuts to lock the flange bolts in place. Overall a very easy install. Seems to flush well (I got the 1.6 Gal tank).

uIdpeDx.jpg

Still need to cut off the bolts and put the caps on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I believe the Cadet 3 caps are tall enough to install without cutting the bolts. Maybe.
I do prefer the Cadet series over the Champion by a large margin.

Geobrick

Reaction score
The caps are tall but I still needed to cut the bolts. The flange was above the tile so maybe that had something to do with it. It took 2 minutes because I had an angle grinder nearby with a metal cut off wheel already attached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks