Stopping Sweating Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Pavesa

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the process of installing a new shower room and toilet upstairs.

At this time of year we get a lot of humidity and toilets sweat. I'm using pex pipe and I have an idea that for the toilet I could use a fairly long length (12'-15') and wrap it around the ABS sewer pipe to pick up heat from showers/wash basin etc through the ABS pipe and maybe stop it sweating so much. I'd insulate the pex round to keep it from sweating itself. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with this kind of thing? Kind of environmentally positive by recycling heat.. rather than feeding hot water into the toilet as well as cold.

Pavesa

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Condensation occurs when the incoming water is very cold and the room temperature is fairly high. I have not heard of anyone trying what you propose, but it will probably work. The extra length of pipe will give the water time to temper. Another thought is if you have not been using low flow toilets and are now switching to low flow, condensation is not as much of a problem with low flow because only approximately half of the tank of water is used per flush. The remaining water has had a chance to warm and the incoming cold water mixes with this remaining water so it is not as cold. And, the water that is used to refill has already had a chance to warm somewhat. Your scheme would give even more of an opportunity for this water to warm.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You could use 3/4" PEX which would hold twice as much water. When I plumbed my house with copper, I took the feed for the toilets off the far end of the distribution header and I used a blending valve. We can party hardy and never break a sweat.

Pavesa

Reaction score
Hi

thanks for the thoughts on this. I'm using a Toto low flush toilet and also the extractor fan will be on the wall about 2' away from the tank so there will be good air flow and there won't be airflow particularly from the shower around the toilet either. Maybe I'm trying to be a bit overkill. I did wonder if it could get to freezing in the sewer pipe because it goes on and out through the roof, but probably not..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Older toilets ran enough water and often dumped the whole tank. Most modern toilets use far less water and leave a good percentage in the tank (they use the extra height to give it more oomph in the flush like a water tower). So, unless you're repeatedly flushing the toilet, fewer people have problems with things sweating. NOt saying it can't happen, but it doesn't happen as often since the water in the tank is often room temp and warms the incoming water considerably, often above the dew point. Plus, because it doesn't run as long, the water in the pipe is likely warmer, too.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If the Toto you were looking into was the Original Drake (CST744S), then you could get yourself one with an insulated tank. Also available in ADA Height, with CEFIONTECT, etc.

CST744SD 1.6gpf, insulated tank
CST744SGD 1.6gpf, CEFIONTECT
CST744SLD 1.6gpf, ADA Height

Pavesa

Reaction score
Hi thanks again for all the information. I think I'll just go with it as it is and leave the concept for someone else. The reason I suggested it is that downstairs the toilet is about 40 years old and in April/May the water runs off it!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That 40 year old toilet probably requires 5 to 7 gallons of water to refill after every flush. That's a lot of cold water. New low flow using 1.28 or 1.6 gallons per flush mixes that water with already tempered water remaining in the tank, the refill water has sat in the pipes and tempered while just sitting and waiting to be used so condensation is rarely a problem with these toilets. Think about when you want a cool drink of water from a faucet. You turn the water on and let it run to purge the warm water. That's the same process as when you flush your toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks