Steel, styrene, fiberglass or acrylic ... which is best for replacement tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Honest Bill

Reaction score
We have both of our baths torn down to the studs and we're trying to decide what kind of tubs to put back. We want tub/shower combos in each bath. Most of what you find are porcelain on steel, styrene, fiberglass or acrylic tubs, in order of least expensive to most expensive? Besides cost, what are the pros and cons of each? Are there other material choices we should consider? What about brand recommendations?

One that we really like the look of is the Aqua Glass Eleganza ... both the tub and the surround. Apparently it is made of styrene, which we know nothing about.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this dilemma.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Absolutely no steel tubs. Styrene is usually very light and thin. Fiberglass or acrylic are better. Or a composite such as American Standard.

Honest Bill

Reaction score
Vikrell?

What about Vikrell by Sterling? Seems to be better than fiberglass or gelcoat, though maybe not up to acryclic standards (but it costs less than acrylic).

whattodo

Reaction score
Sterling Vikrell

I have a shower stall that is 6 years old and the finish wore off the floor and it looks dirty all the time. If I had to do it over again, I'd tile the whole thing, even though it costs more

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I recently installed a Kohler acrylic tub; it has fiberglass reinforcing in it. I think it is the "Portrait" model. You can see this from the underside. It looks great, and is very solid. I set the base in a pile of concrete, so the base of the tub is fully and evenly supported. I expect it will provide many years of service.

fortop

Reaction score
One piece fiberglass tub/shower combo for me. I think LASCO is fine and cheap ($280-$320 around here at the big box stores). If you pour concrete under the base as previously stated they should not crack. If they do crack they are repairable. Or, better yet, make your door big enough to accommodate a 30" tub/shower and you can easily remove/replace the unit for another one if you have to in the future.

I will never deal with endless cleaning of tile grout and associated mold again.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks