Speaking of Hose Bibbs...

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteD

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for a nice looking durable hose bibb. The spigot on the front of my house is quite prominent. It was leaking last year and the cheap made in China HD replacement already looks 10 years old.

I was thinking about a rough chrome finish bibb. I want a 1/2" female NPT inlet.

I checked out Acorn Engineering, which I found in another thread. Looks nice, but unfortunately 3/4" NPT inlet:
http://www.acorneng.com/acorn_catalog/PDF/catalogpdf/h/8120.pdf

Chicago faucets, also recommended in that same thread here seem to do internal bibbs only.

I found this one from Watts, which looks decent and has the vacuum break that I also need:
http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-MHB-RC.pdf
I would prefer a chrome handle, though.

A 1/4 turn model would be great, but again, I do not like the handle on this one:
http://www.bostonvalve.com/pdf/TSC&SSC 1000 p1&2.pdf

If anyone has some recommendations for a 1/2" female NPT inlet, rough chrome hose bibb with or without an integrated vacuum break (can be purchased separately), I would appreciate it.

Note, I do not want frost free, there is a finished room behind this bibb and I drain this line in the winter with a shut off and a bleed valve in my utility room.

Thanks,
Pete

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You can always use a 3/4 by 1/2 coupling or bushing.

EC0T.jpg

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
Just because you don't need the frost free feature is no reason to exclude it and narrow your choices, particularly since you live in an area where frost free would be the standard.

PeteD

Reaction score
Just because you don't need the frost free feature is no reason to exclude it and narrow your choices, particularly since you live in an area where frost free would be the standard.

The problem is that the spigot is in a framed wall of a finish room. This is no room for a frost free, especially since this is a retro-fit - I could get to 1 or 2 inches of the pipe by pulling gently - just enough to sweat on the 1/2" NPT male fitting.

Also, when I first moved in, I never drained it because the shutoff was behind the washer in a laundry closet, instead of an accessible place (with the bleeder over a finish ceiling and no room for a bucket). Who wants to pull their washer out twice a year to turn their hose bibb on and off and then risk water spilling on the ceiling below? Anyway, it never froze because the pipe runs in and adjacent to heated space in its entirety.

Thanks,
Pete

PeteD

Reaction score
Got the price on the Acorn.....$112....choke, choke.

The handle on the $30 Watts is suddenly looking better.

Gonna have to think about this one and do some more looking...