Soldering Near PEX, Polybutylene

Users who are viewing this thread

JB412

Reaction score
I need to replace my tub/shower faucet and ran into an issue that I'm not sure how to deal with. After removing a portion of the back wall I discovered that my house has PEX lines up to a copper end connection. I've never dealt with PEX before. Is it safe to solder close to this stuff? I'll try to add an attachment picture to this, but my question is whether I should cut the copper end and solder in a union fitting or would I be better off putting in a compression union and spare the heat from soldering? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC06673-R.jpg
    DSC06673-R.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,032

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks like polybutylene to me. If you cut the copper there, you can even use a compression coupling. No soldering at all with that.
Though if you put a wet rag on the PB, you may be able to make it work soldering it too.

Last edited:

JB412

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Terry and dj2. I never even thought that the tubing might be PB, but looking at the marking I see that it is. In searching on the internet for polybutylene it sounds like I should seriously consider replacing all of it. Is that something you would typically recommend as well? The articles made it sound like concerning myself about heat from soldering should be the least of my worries. If I do decide to take the chance, cross my fingers, and live with it, do sharkbite fittings also work with a PB to copper transition? Thanks again.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now you talking - re-pipe.

Copper may not be the perfect choice, but it's still better than the other choices, IMHO.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Most failures with polybutylene were the fittings and the crimp rings. Those at fault were plastic fittings and aluminum crimp rings. You have copper fittings and copper crimp rings.

John

DaveHo

Reaction score
My house had PB. Gone now & replaced with Uponor PEX. All 5 of the PB failures I experienced were with the pipe itself. And just because the fittings in that pic are copper, who knows what's hidden in the walls. My house had a mix of the plastic & copper fittings. Yank out as much of the PB as you can get to, & put it on the todo list to completely remove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks