Soldering / brazing troubles for tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just for completeness for this thread, for others who read it, 2 other points I've learned on this site which really helped me get leak-free joints:

1. Make sure that the system you are soldering on is open to the atmosphere, or else the heated air will push solder out of the last joint you solder and you will keep wondering why that joint keeps going bad, despite cleaning/fluxing/soldering correctly.

2. Heat the fitting, not the pipe.

BenWara

Reaction score
2. Heat the fitting, not the pipe.

I was just about to say that. You want to put the heat where you want the solder to go. I see many people heat down on the pipe.

And like you discovered, one joint at a time. I'm under the impression from reading you tried to do all three at once?

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
yes, I tried to do all three at once. Very good point about heat the fitting, not the pipe. Although that is how I ultimately did it, I did not know that was the proper method. That is the kind of useful information I was looking for when I started this thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks