Softener causing pressure issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s help. Once I get new resin in, what are the right settings for:

2 people
6-10 hardness
.75 ft^3 of resin

unit is currently set for 10lbs salt.

which dials need to be set? Thanks.
So I got the unit disconnected and removed most of the resin. The top of the tube which enters the tank and the top basket are rust colored. I can easily wash it off, but wondering what's causing this and if there's something I should do about it when rebuilding the tank?

I also sprained my thumb trying to unscrew the valve...but I finally got it off.
post a pic. it's iron. how long has the unit been in service?

Jason Kay

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 147

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's been in service for 15 years.
you should be ok. a softener can remove around 2 ppm iron, although, because it's not really designed for that, it will shorten the life of the Media. probably not a bad idea to test for iron. any bad odors ever in the water? you can twist/pull that screen of and soak it in iron out for half hour or more be good as new. lube the o-rings up with some silicone grease prior to reinstallation.

Jason Kay

Reaction score
you should be ok. a softener can remove around 2 ppm iron, although, because it's not really designed for that, it will shorten the life of the Media. probably not a bad idea to test for iron. any bad odors ever in the water? you can twist/pull that screen of and soak it in iron out for half hour or more be good as new. lube the o-rings up with some silicone grease prior to reinstallation.
Thank's my man. I won't be getting this done until this weekend, but I very much appreciate the help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The riser tube is a good indicator that you are likely on a municipal supply and the ferric iron that is common in some municipal supplies is not penetrating the bed. The riser tube is clean below the resin, this is very normal and expected. Use a little vinegar to clean it all up and you should be good to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks