Soft close seat: Ugly sticker hard to remove, upgrade to a Washlet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by intravenous, Nov 20, 2008.

1. intravenous

intravenous New Member

After living nearly a month w/o a bathroom due to a remodel (I have only one BR), I was finally able to use my new Toto toilet today. Much to my chagrin, the inside of the $55 toilet seat has a very large, very annoying sticker on it ADVERTISING Toto's washlets. It's really insulting to be so overcharged for both the toilet and the F***ing seat to have to look at advertising.

They even have the audacity to print: "installer do not remove this sticker" on the bottom. As if my contractor is going to spend time messing w/this thing...it took him a month to finally get the toilet installed.

This sticker seems to be impossible to peel off. How do I get this thing off, and who do I complain to at Toto?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

TOTO Drake Review

TOTO Ultramax Review
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I would take it back to the supplier and ask whether they have any "Goo Gone" or whatever else that will do the job without doing damage.

My dad used to let car dealers know they would have to either remove their stickers from trunks or else sign and begin paying advertising contracts before he would pay for new vehicles.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  3. JCturboT

JCturboT New Member

Having just purchased a(nother)Toto Drake with the Soft-Close seat I know what you mean-seems rather odd to have an advertisement on the inside lid of the seat.

Other than that though the sticker peeled right off after I started a corner.

Jeff

[​IMG]
  4. Macman

Macman New Member

I usually have good luck getting stickers off by heating them with a hair dryer and then peeling s..l..o..w..l..y. If it's a large sticker, start at a corner, heat only one part at a time, peel, and then heat the adjacent part of the sticker and repeat.

[​IMG]
  5. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

it's not glued on just peel it off.

[​IMG]
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Did anyone else see "Two and a half Men" Monday night the 17th
    Charley's brother noticed the Toto Ultramax with a Washlet in the Master bathroom.
    He just had to try it out.
    The first thing he noticed was the warm seat feature.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  7. intravenous

intravenous New Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I would have liked to take it back to a dealer, but alas! no Toto dealers here; had to purchase online. Scummy (literally) metacorporations thus have their way with us. Not only do they grossly overcharge for a toilet seat, but they have the nerve to add large, ugly advertising to the item you purchased and thereby own. They are over the top with audacity. For this reason, I will not recommend Toto to any friends. One has to draw the line somewhere, and since there was no dealer to whom I could say: "not buying it until you remove that crap," I will simply put Toto on my boycott list.

I suspect that this seat has been sitting in stock for a good long time (probably in very hot conditions to boot), as this sticker just won't peel off. I will be trying the hairdryer suggestion after the contractor leaves today. If that fails, I guess I'll try Goopoff, but I'm afraid it will ruin the finish since it's not supposed to be used on plastics.

[​IMG]
  8. intravenous

intravenous New Member

Toto "customer service" What a joke

Here's the pearls of wisdom I received from Toto's "customer service" after telling them that this sticker won't budge:

"The label is not attached with a heavy adhesive but more like one that is on a t.v. screen"

Like I said, the only way to improve corporate attitudes is by withholding one's dollars.

9. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

While I would do a test area first on a loo seat, I always use nail varnish remover to get rid of sticker marks.

Works great with a little bit of elbow grease. Especially on windows.

Goo gone is for DIYers and commercial plumbers.

Qualified residential and expert service plumbers would use nail varnish remover.

It's probably the same stuff for half the price.

Added to the fact that one group wears nail varnish while the other does not.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  10. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Goof Off is what I use for labels. This is the product used for latex paint removing. I find it works best to peel as much as possible first. This usually means the slick top layer will tear away leaving a surface that the Goof Off can soak through quickly. I just saturate the surface, wait 30 seconds or so, then peel. A dry paper towel will clean off the residue easily after the actual sticker is off. The only think this product will damage that I know of is latex paint.
  11. T_Finan

T_Finan New Member

I had one of these stickers to remove this weekend. Thanks to your post I was ready to handle it!

It was tough to get off since you need a razor blade to lift an edge, impossible to do with a finger nail.

I can confirm mine was a static label but it took a healthy pull to remove.

The label material was thick enough that I think that the chemicals would have no impact!
  12. Haaaaaaey guys and gals. I just had to get on the internet and let you all know I that I bought some milk today? and like, you know, I can't get that factory seal off the damn opening.

Oh I'm so gosh damn pissed right now that I'm not going to eat no more hamburgers, no more steaks, and certainly not going to drink more milk! Screw those cows! I'm telling all of my friends too, I got 6 friends and a half retarded cat that now has no milk for his bowl! Oh dammit! I'm so mad I could drink yoohoo! To hell with cows! I'll never eat another one! I'm going to stop cow eating, cow drinking because I posted this on the internet and by gonnit, I'm mad! :mad: Don't think I'm going to change my mind because I can't get this sticker off my milk! Let it spoil! See if I cry over spilt milk! Hell I can't even do that cause I'm such a wimp I can't get the damn sticker off, Hmmphhtt!!!

Looove you alll XOXOXOXOXXOO

thread_gay_midget.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

13. Good god man! Step away sloooooooowly from the acetone acetate! Harm is being done! :D
  14. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It sounds like brain cell extinction!
  15. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

lol @ the end of this thread
    thx fo the chuckles fellas
    :D
  16. Lowell

Lowell New Member

WD-40 works every time.