SMM....save my marriage

Users who are viewing this thread

mrsmendlebright

Reaction score
You know how some people can ignore a phone call and some people will risk breaking limbs to answer it? Well, you know of course that they marry each other. That's me and my husband...I am a "let's be prepared" type and he is a "hey...it might not break for another couple of years" kind of guy. Here is my dilemma...mine because he is not even concerned about this. We have a shallow well pump that has been used for maybe 2 years. Our beloved Gould pump burned out one night after everything had closed. Well, of course it did! We ended up getting a pump from a guy that works with my husband and it works...for now. One of the supports has broken so it sits on the cinder block a little crooked. It has no name on it...like it's a Mob-owned pump or something. No name AT ALL. It is plastic and it leaks. We have to keep a fan blowing on it or it gets a puddle. At first, my husband thought it was just condensation. He also thinks it's "bad gas" when my car breaks down. He is ever the optimist...me? I know better. I want to buy a pump and have it at the ready when this thing bugs out...as I know it will. My question is: What is the best shallow well pump? We prefer made in USA. 3/4 hp. With a brand name on it somewhere? My husband knows plumbing and can install it himself. (My situation is like the cobbler's wife that never has shoes). Any help now will avoid some heated arguments in the future - my basement. Thanks in advance.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get another Gould's. It's an American made pump. Motors are made in China.

Flint and Walling is the only manufacturer I know of that is using American made motors, They are good pumps to but I lean towards Goulds for jet pumps.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
The guys above nailed it. Goulds by far out last the rest. No matter what you do don't mess with farm store pumps. Yeah they're cheap but cheap says it all. Good luck

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hear Grundfos now has a plant in Mexico right next to the Franklin plant. Why are we sending all of our jobs to other countries? If we ever do smarten up and start bringing manufacturing back to the US, we will have left plants fully equipped and persons trained to continue building these products and to continue competing with us. Once the genie is out of the bottle, it is almost impossible to get him back in. Even Goulds is not Goulds anymore. Now they want to be called Xylem or something like that. Sounds like more de-Americanization of another perfectly good American product.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
Maybe flop and wobble aka Flint and walling is made in the USA but the quality is terrible. Whatever motor they are using is nearly impossible to change bearings and the enclosed start points get wet once and stay wet. Sta-rite and Gould seems to be about the best quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks