Smell after bathroom remodel...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by zab567, Feb 21, 2009.

1. zab567

zab567 New Member

We just got our master bathroom remodeled and now there is a sewer smell every time we walk into the bedroom. We are on a septic system and we are on a slab. I have narrowed the smell down to the shower drain. The contractor ripped the old fiberglass shower out, built a concrete shower pan and replaced the drain. He did not do anything to the trap as it is in the slab nor did he move any plumbing; he only replaced the drain. I looked into the drain and there is water, but I don't know exactly where the trap is in relation. Could there be debris in the trap that is causing the gas to escape? Thanks for any advice or other thoughts!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

shower

If you see water, then that should be the trap, and there is nothing that can allow sewer gas to pass through it. REGARDLESS of where you smell the odor, that might not be the source. Odors will accumulate in closed spaces, such as showers, even if they are caused by something elsewhere. They can also be VERY elusive to locate because of their migratory nature.