Musty smell (comes and goes)

Users who are viewing this thread

jmkejbm

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a strange musty smell in my new shower. To me it smells like musty water. At first we thought the smell was coming from the drain. We have a Studor valve installed in a small "pony" 1/2 wall between our tub and shower. We had the Studor valve replaced but the problem persists. Also, I tried just pooring hot water down the drain and didn't really smell the musty smell. I've tried cleaning the floor tile with a scrub brush. The smell kind of smells like a musty chalky smell.
It comes and goes. Sometimes it is very strong.

Brand new bathroom with all new plumbing. Tiled floor shower with small square tiles, walls are tiled with larger polished tiles.

I also tried removing the shower head and letting water run from the pipe. As far as I can tell the smell isn't coming directly from the water. I've had a plumber come out and check the shower valve and there are no leaks there.

It is frustrating because I can not identify where the smell is coming from exactly. My next step is going to be to clean all the tile and ceiling with a mild detergent to see if it something with the water interacting with a surface.

Any other ideas?

Is this a venting problem?? Is the Studor valve just too enclosed and doesn't have enough air to work properly?
How do I identify the true source of the smell? Why does it come and go?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks