Small hole in flush path -- what is its function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Awake

Reaction score
No, not the one you are probably thinking of (inside the bowl); this is a small hole in the area where the tank joins with the toilet. Here is a picture with an arrow pointing to the hole in question:

toilet.png

When I removed the tank, this was plugged with a blob of caulk. Initially I thought that must have been a mistake of the original installer ... but then I got to wondering if that is actually meant to be plugged, for some reason.

Can anybody shed light on the purpose of this hole, and whether it should be plugged or not?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that it was supposed to be plugged. I have not felt that brighter white material to see if it was hard. I have just presumed it was hard. Are you saying that remaining bright white material is soft like caulk?

Awake

Reaction score
Yep, like a blob of silicon caulk. Do I take it that you have seen this hole plugged in toilets as well? If so, that makes me think it needs to stay plugged for some reason ...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My first guess is that it's a steam vent.
A void in clay will break in a kiln. After it's removed, they may have plugged the hole.

Awake

Reaction score
Which means, I think, that I'd better plug it back up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks