Slip-on or Screw-on Spout?

Users who are viewing this thread

BS

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom and need to replace the tub and shower trim and, of course, the rough-in valve and plumbing. I can get the trim we've chosen with either a slip-on tub spout or a screw-on spout. Other than the ease of installation of the slip-on spout, is there any advantage to one or the other? And if there is no advantage, why wouldn't all spouts be slip-on?

- Bernie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes more skill to install a threaded on spout than a slip-on one. Many of the inexpensive replacements are that type. WHen you tighten the set screw to keep it in place, you can damage the pipe if you do it too tight, making subsequent replacements tougher. A screw on one, properly installed is probably stronger. To do that, you need the length perfect so you can get it tight as it runs up against the finished wall while being straight.

BS

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm guessing the installation instructions state precisely how long the threaded-end stub has to be, correct? How much tolerance is there?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

I don't know what brand you are referring to, but Delta's spout has an adapter to screw on or solder on. Then the spout screws onto that, therefore there is a great latitude as to how far out the adapter is installed.

BS

Reaction score
Thanks. That's helpful. The brand I'm considering is Kohler, but now I have a better idea of what to look for.

Another question: I've heard lots about the PERCEIVED lower quality of brand name items sold at a certain Big Box store. Kohler customer service tells me there is no difference in the faucets they sell at this store vs. what they sell elsewhere. In other words, a certain model number is the same everywhere. But this store tells me that the particular model I'm looking at comes boxed with the rough-in valve, but Kohler tells me they don't sell the two together. Together the price is a good bit less than the discount prices from some on-line stores. This makes me wonder about whether the items are of lower quality even though Kohler claims otherwise. Or could volume purchasing power reduce the price that much? Anybody have any experiences or information about this?

- Bernie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks