shower valve plumbing question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ragtop68rs, Dec 15, 2013.

1. ragtop68rs

ragtop68rs New Member

Guys, I'm starting a master bath remodel. For my shower I want to use the moentrol 3320(IPS)or 3330(CC) valve. My plumbing is all pex. Could I use either one of these and just use adapters to change to pex? Would one be better or easier to use than the other? Thanks, John
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Not much difference between the two.
    The tub spout needs either copper or pipe.
    No PEX or PEX fittings to the tub spout.

The valve must be sturdy in the wall. PEX can allow too much flex, so if running PEX, secure the valve in there solid.
  3. jm66208

jm66208 Member

I just installed two moentrol valves this week in a remodel. Not much in the way of mounting provided on the valve, so I "stub" them out with copper to give me something to mount with. then you could transition to pex if you so desire.
  4. jm66208

jm66208 Member

tub.jpg

Here's a pic terry showed me recently of a tub install. I don't carry a camera. Note his rough in. Do it like he did, securing the valve with copper pipe. just transition to pex below the lower 2 x 4 brace he put in.
  5. ragtop68rs

ragtop68rs New Member

Thanks guys, that is what I will do.